Soft Stone Carving
This is typically a full 2-day class to complete one project. Usually held on a Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 4:00 pm each day. Cost is a per class fee.
- Minimum 1.5” x 2” square rock slab, ¼” to 3/8” thick, preferably marble or other soft stone.
- Diamond coated burs 40-80 grit usually in sets of 30 bits of various shapes. Single burs can be usually purchased for about $1 each from various sources.
- Diamond coated cutting wheels for Dremel or other rotary tools. Various sizes are a plus.
- Diamond polishing paste 5 grams/syringe. Grits 325, 600, 1200, 3000, and 14000 work well. Lubricant a plus but not essential.
- Mounted firm bristle brushes, enough to match your polishing grits.
- Dust mask, dust filter.
Rio Grande and Amazon have everything above but the slab. There isn’t a local store that carries all of the items although you can find a lot of them at Harbor Freight.
- Electric (not battery powered) rotary tool, handheld at minimum but a hanging unit like Foredom with a flex shaft is best, with collets to fit the bur shaft, wrench, hanging post or other way to keep the motor from moving.
- Fine sharpie type pen.
- Rock scribe or other implement to draw on rock slab.
- Fine point scissors to cut out the pattern.
- Magnifying optivisor or other head gear.
- Towel or mat to work on.